Pages

"Pongáio" was the name my Aunt Mona gave to a long, green, cool room where we gathered at her home —
replete with comfy chairs, a rocker, sewing machine, sewing goods, beautiful beads, shelves, books, bibelots, photographs, odds'n'ends, mementos of a life, treasures —
a gathering of all the useful & 'useless' things that so make life a pleasure.



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

She did it!

By george, she did it!

That is, I did it!
I sewed/darned my shorts!!!
(Sort-A-Sew™ and Sort-A-Darn™ are my trademarks!)

I have to explain: I'm not a sewing person.
I learned some stiches as a child (a ve-e-ery grubby sampler which followed me in my moves for years), which I have already long forgotten how to do.
When about fourteen or so, I taught myself some embroidery, and embroidered a drawing I had made as a gift for my friend's mother (I framed it... the back was an unbelievable mess).
Ah, yes! There was Home Ec when thirteen: a green jumpsuit, and a dress with miles of very-slipery-cloth self belting, that the teacher had to finish as it was Too Much for me. Those were the days of the minis and micros: micro-short jumpsuit and a minidress, with those godawfulll trillion miles of "ribbon" ties.
I actually wore them quite a bit!

So, since the last millenium, my sewing basically consist of sewing back on fallen buttons (a bloodbath, as always pricking my fingers), sewing the inner seams of  my trousers, pants for us in US, and sort-a-darning/sewing of little holes that decide to appear in well loved garments. Sewing , therefore is a major psychological undertaking, if not in practice.

When I finished yesterday, I felt happy, and so saintly!
There are no pictures, as with the very hot,  HOT  h o t  weather, I've been using them direct. From the fixin' they went directly in the washin'.

So, Fiona, thank you for the 20 minutes... if nothing else, I got my shorts back!

But I'm already thinking of what I'll do today!


PS And thank you, Fiona and Gerry, for the comments... they are also inspiring!

2 comments:

  1. One thing about the way I make those placemats/tabletoppers it is SO EASY. Just straight sewing lines. That's all there is. And, the end result is utilitarian ! ! !
    No more difficult that sewing a seam ! ! !
    : ^ )

    ReplyDelete
  2. er..."Just straight sewing lines." ...
    "No more difficult that sewing a seam ! ! !"...
    Ger, you are a dear!
    I'm laughing and coughing, spluttering, coughing and laughing!
    Once you DO know how to sew, I'm sure there's NO difficulty 'tall!
    (and I do have lots scraps, and pieces of fabric... I LOVE fabric, even if don't know what to do with them... yet!)
    I do have a secret project, secret from my Mom as of yet, that she teach me how to use, and then lend me, her warhorse Singer.
    I remember, way back in the mists of time, using and that it was able to go nice and S L O W...

    ReplyDelete