Pages

"Pongáio" was the name my Aunt Mona gave to a long, green, cool room where we gathered at her home —
replete with comfy chairs, a rocker, sewing machine, sewing goods, beautiful beads, shelves, books, bibelots, photographs, odds'n'ends, mementos of a life, treasures —
a gathering of all the useful & 'useless' things that so make life a pleasure.



Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cottage Love

I love cottages.
The tiny kind, not the Newportish giants.

Since a girl, I would save those little house plans and drawings at the end of the Country Living Magazine... the smaller the better.
I really, reeeeelly love little houses and cottages...

But, and a BIG BUT at that, I don't know if I'd actually (ever) manage to live in one:
too much" precious stuff "!

And... where would that dream deep-soaking-bathtub go? (Although, I think one of those could be fitted in)

I do have to go on a personal de-stuff-ing crusade... *sigh*

I'd love houses to be teeny on the outside and big on the inside, as I imagine Mrs. (Ma) Shoe's must be, to fit in all those children. Even stacked on kiddie shelves, a lot of room would be needed!

As not possible with the physics of this world (yet...?), I'll just keep collecting images and sighing over them.
Ah, yes! And slowly sending my preciosities (a.k.a the j-word, my s dear j-u-n-k) to new homes.

Ma Shoe's House
OldWomanShoe1
from web


Update: images & poetry!
More There was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe:

old woman's shoe
Drawing of There was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe by Kronheim, c.1875
                          There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
                          She had so many children, she didn't know what to do;
                          She gave them some broth without any bread;
                          Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

The earliest printed version in Joseph Ritson's Gammer Gurton's Garland in 1794 has the coarser last line:
                          She whipp'd all their bums, and sent them to bed.
from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment